It's Been A Cold, Cold Week!  

Posted by Shannon & Lindsay

Lindsay and I traversed the state from sunny St. George to winter-ridden Provo on Sunday in order to see Tracy and Darren and go to a much anticipated book signing of one of mine, and Tracy's personal favorite, author, Jodi Picoult. If you haven't read any of her books - DO SO. They're all good. All of them. Moral dilemmas + twisty endings = Good books.

It was a ridiculously cold visit my friends - cold, cold, and cold. Personally, I don't know how you Northern Utahns stand this weather :). It's swim time down south! It was so cold I nearly froze my toes off - literally - since I only brought open toes shoes for myself. Since Tracy and Darren had to work during the days Linds and I did lot of window shopping, sight seeing and playing. We went to Kangaroo Zoo in Pleasant Grove where they have about a billion inflatable jumping apparatuses for kids to play on. Lindsay only dare to crawl through the small ones and down the small slides (head first, mind you), but was honestly more interested in the machines that were keeping the inflatables up; however, she had a fun time running around screaming, stealing other kids' drinks, and pointing at nothing in particular.


Since Linds tends to wander around like a lost puppy, I resigned myself to getting her a baby leash - albeit begrudgingly. I keep my dogs on a leash, you know? But holy heavens, did she despise that thing. We went to the Dinosaur museum at Thanksgiving point and I put the little backpack on her that the leash attached to and she was okay with it as long as she didn't feel me pulling on it. One tiny yank and she immediately dropped to the floor like it was an earthquake drill and commenced screaming like a wild banshee. It wasn't annoying in the least. I'm sure the other museum patrons especially appreciated it. Lately, she has been OBSESSED with stairs and so she spent the majority of the time climbing the two steps up to this massive dinosaur scale and then back down. Up, down. Repeat. Oh, she also ran around screaming and pointing at nothing in particular :)



On Wednesday, Tracy took the day off and we went into SLC and played at the Discovery Center at the Gateway. More screaming and random pointing ensued :) It was the cutest little place though and we even saw a kid wearing suspenders - who knew they existed in that size? And who allows their kid to wear suspenders? I mean, really? Do you want your child ridiculed for the whole of his childhood simply because you're sick of pulling up his pants? Maybe buy a smaller size. But I digress.



That night we traveled the city Lewis & Clark style to find where the book signing was held (thank goodness for cell phone GPS or we might have ended up in Reno) and although Linds didn't sit still or keep quiet even though I brought 8 billion books and treats (perhaps duct tape next time?) and I wasn't able to hear much of what the author said, I did get my book signed first and learned she was also left-handed. We lefties gotta stick together. God made a few people perfect, and then he made the rest right-handed. Sorry, I don't make the rules :)

Today (Thursday) was bitter cold so we stayed inside as much as we could, but having the wildest child ever to live on earth, I had to take her out so she didn't completely destroy the hotel room. We decided to make a trip to The Quilted Bear. Now, normally I love The Quilted Bear. They have cute home decor and other fun and creative thingamajigs. On this trip, however, we found a rather odd and disturbing item for sale. And no, this isn't a joke.


Now, apart from the unknowing stars of To Catch a Predator, I was unaware that there was even a market for toddler lingerie. Sadly, I was mistaken. I can only imagine "Little Lady Lingerie's" competing products: Garter for Girls, Toddler Teddies, Baby Boustiers, etc. Now, I don't know about you guys, but I'm decidedly against toddler promiscuity. Call me crazy, but I'd rather not tell my one year old it's bedtime and now she should go "slip into something more comfortable." But I guess that's just me.

We also took a trip up to see the new Draper temple and it is quite beautiful. The houses that surround it were almost ridiculous in size. One in particular was quite extravagant - too extravagant even. I pity the fool who has to dust that bad boy. As I sat taking a picture of it, I could almost feel talking clocks, candelabras, and other come-to-life furniture staring at me through the windows - and an unbearable urge to check out the west wing. (Beauty and the Beast reference, in case you thought I was just word vomiting).
Later on, we decided to have Thursday television night at Tracy's, which turned into Thursday wild child driving us crazy night at Tracy's. My child is not unlike Animal on the Muppets. - climbing this, pulling this down, throwing toys, spilling drinks, etc. (but, in her defense, being unfailing cute all the while.) Tonight is a good example of why my child has a 7 pm bedtime. After 7 pm, my sanity is NOT guaranteed.
Tomorrow we drive home - hopefully snow encounters will be few and far between - and I will be back to wearing flips and enjoying the sun! Happy Extended-Winter to all you Northerners - give the Ice Queen my regards :)

This entry was posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 at 3:18 PM . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

2 comments

Yeah, I made the mistake of going out this morning, it was freezing! I'm getting through this week because I'm going to St George on Monday.

I better check out that lingerie at QB. I'm disturbed by a lot of their stuff, yet I have to look at EVERYTHING.

Jeff and I walked through that huge house in Draper when it was still being framed, before security cameras were being installed. I can't imagine having a house that big. It's 20,000 feet.

I'll not tell you guys to call me next time you come up, since my previous request/demand was ignored. :(

March 26, 2009 at 10:55 PM

Haha! Yeah, well I'm more than ready to move back to St. George!

March 30, 2009 at 8:06 AM

Post a Comment