I Hate Phases!  

Posted by Shannon & Lindsay

So, my little dear child is now re-entering the wonderful "I don't want to go to sleep" phase again. I swear we just got over this! She sleeps through the night just fine, but getting her to GET to sleep is now a recurring nightmare! I will put her down and she will cry, and cry, and choke cry, and choke cry and CRY AND CRY and - you get the picture :) It's like a bloody murder cry where I keep thinking, Is she like dying in there?? And then, what makes it the most frustrating, is that anytime I go in there and take her out she instantly is happy and wants to play.

So, I end up listening to the choke cry for an hour and a half - including the time I spend in the backyard so I don't have to constantly hear it, or, my nerves fail me and I take her out and say do what you will. It's a good thing she's cute but this phase better pass quickly or else my sanity will be out the door.

She does like being sang to, so I've ended up singing my own little rendition of Silent Night to help her settle down. It's more of a gentle pleading on my behalf that sounds like a sweet little Lullaby:

Silent Night, quiet night
No more whines, no more cries
Go to sleep and your mom will stay sane
Please be quiet my ears are in pain
Sleep and give me some peace
Sleep and give me some peace.

So far it hasn't worked, but at least I can rhyme. :)


This entry was posted on Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 3:47 PM . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

3 comments

I am lol -ing my head off. Not at you, of course, but how I reacted to Matthew. Nap and bedtime were such a big deal then. I don't know what happened, but by number 3, either they or you just don't give a crap to put up a fight, so it get's easier. Now, with McKay, I say nap or bedtime, and he usually is happy to have a break from the now, so he runs to his bed. So essentially, I'm telling you that bedtime will get easier, you just have to have four kids totall that drive each other crazy enough that they need the rest to prepare for another day. No sweat.

May 20, 2009 at 2:40 PM

Oh man, I was hoping that all these kinds of things were behind us. I guess if Ezra can make it til he is as old as her I won't complain. Love the song!

May 20, 2009 at 4:15 PM

I think we should sing that one at this year's family Christmas party!! Love it.

May 21, 2009 at 1:54 PM

Post a Comment